Make your own free website on

Stanley Family Tree (Genealogy Site)


Search the Web | Family Pictures | Feedback and Information | Download Page | Georgia Geographical Reference | Family Members List (Surnames) | Contact Me | Genealogy and History Links | Shadrack Stanley (1750 - 1830) | James Stanley (1785-1875) | Henry S. Stanley | Hosea Conine Stanley | Syrena Stanley Lamkin | John Conine Stanley | James Young Stanley | Early Jordan Stanley | Robert Morland Stanley | Louie Woodson Stanley (1917-2000)
Louie Woodson Stanley (1917-2000)

Son of Philip Lamar and Willie Mae Rawlins Stanley

LOUIE WOODSON9 STANLEY (PHILLIP 'BURL' LAMAR8, ROBERT MORLAND7, JAMES YOUNG6, JAMES5, SHADRACK4, SANDS3, JONATHAN2 STANDLEY, GEORGE1) was born January 29, 1917 in Dacula, Ga, and died March 20, 2000 in Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia. He married (1) CLYTIE LEONA BEASLEY July 24, 1939 in Macclenny, Baker Co., Florida, daughter of ERNEST BEASLEY and NANCY PELLUM. She was born October 05, 1914 in Macclenny, Florida, and died May 03, 1976 in Fort MacPherson Army Hospital, Fulton Co., Georgia. He married (2) LOIS UNDERWOOD March 16, 1980 in Dacula, Gwinnett Co., GA. She was born December 12, 1920 in Barrow Co., Ga, and died December 14, 1985 in DeKalb Co., GA. He married (3) NELL PARR ARCHER 1989. She was born July 30, 1924 in Barrow Co., GA, and died January 06, 1994 in Dacula, Gwinnett Co., GA. He married (4) JERRI GARRISON MAJORS September 12, 1997 in Dacula, Gwinnett Co., GA, daughter of THEODORE GARRISION and WILLIE AKINS. She was born December 19, 1938 in Lowndes Co., GA.

Louie Stanley was born in January 1917 at the home of his grandfather, Robert M. Stanley, in Dacula. He was the eldest son of Phillip Lamar Stanley and Willie Mae Rawlins Stanley. The following explains his family's travels before 1936, when he entered the U. S. Coast Guard. Phillip gained a nickname early in life. His brother Curtis had difficulty pronouncing 'brother', and called him Burly. The name of Burl Stanley stuck and he used it the rest of his life.

His parents were married in 1916, the record held at the Barrow County courthouse. For a time they lived at the home of Burl's father, Robert. In Fall of 1922 they moved to Miami, Florida. It was about this time that Mark and Carl Stanley, Burl's cousins, also moved to Miami. Upon their arrival Burl began work for the H. J. Heinz Company and rented a boarding house which Willie rented out. The family remained in Miami until the great hurricane of September 1926 which destroyed much of the city, including the boarding house.

Upon their return to Dacula in 1926, they lived for a short time with Burl's father. Burl worked with his cousin Carl at his Lawrenceville store, which was located near the train depot. Louie began school at Dacula and remained with his grandfather while the family moved to a house on the depot hill in Lawrenceville.

In 1927 Burl went to Woodlawn, Alabama, outside Birmingham seeking work. He stayed there about three or four months before sending for his family to join him. The family stayed in Woodlawn until November 1929, while Burl worked with a tire vulcanizing company there. During this time Louie attended Woodlawn Elementary School.

When they returned to Dacula in late 1929 they returned again to the home of Robert Stanley. During that winter, which is remembered as the coldest winter imaginable, there were five families staying at the home place: Frank and Roba Baldwin, Buel and J. D. Williams, Curtis Stanley and his children, Burl and Willie, and Orth and Fairimac Stanley. Benjamin was still young and unmarried, so he was also at home. That December Louie resumed school at Dacula.

Early in 1930 the family moved onto the Harm Allen place, which they farmed until their house was built nearer to the Alcova River. The new house was completed in 1931 and the family moved again. Also at this time, Early Jr. and his wife Ethel (King) moved into the Harm Allen place from a house that was standing at his father's farm across the road.

The Burl Stanley house was a two-story building with the bed rooms upstairs. They opened and operated a store and gas station in the front lower part of the house. The old mill was still standing on the river, but since it was not in use they used it for a barn. The house stood at the location of the present driveway to the Alcova Trailer Park three miles west of Dacula on Highway 29. Within two years the young son, Tyson, developed a sleep-walking problem and the upstairs bedrooms were relocated to the rear of the house. The family remained at this location until 1937, when they returned again to Miami, Florida. This house remained until 1959 when it was removed and the first trailers were moved into the Park.

Louie finished high school at Lawrenceville in 1936 and shortly left home to join the U. S. Coast Guard. His military career was a successful one which led him to all parts of the globe. What follows is condensed from his official form DD-214 issued upon his retirement in 1966.

Military Record

Enlisted 24 July 1936 in Atlanta, Georgia, and served on active duty until 31 July 1966.

USCGC NEMESIS July 1936 - June 1937
USCGC COLFAX June 1937 - Dec. 1938
USCGC AGASSIS Dec. 1938 - July 1939

Base Six, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida,
July 1939 - July 1942

Captain of the Port, Port Everglades, Florida
July 1942 - Aug. 1943

USS NEWEL Oct. 1943 - Aug. 1944

Base Six, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Oct. 1944 - Dec. 1944

Captain of the Port, Miami, Florida
Dec. 1944 - Dec. 1945

USCGC FREDERICK LEE Dec. 1945 - Feb. 1946

USCGC POINCIANA Feb. 1946 - Mar. 1950

USCG Base, Sand Island, Honolulu, Hawaii
Apr. 1950 - July 1950

USCGC KUKUI July 1950 - Sept 1950
USCGC BUTTONWOOD Sept 1950 - June 1952
USCGC BLACKHAW Sept 1952 - Aug. 1954
USCGC BRIER Sept 1954 - Mar. 1957

Captain of the Port, Jacksonville, FL
Apr. 1957 - Dec. 1960

Sullivan Island, Light Boat Station, South Carolina
Dec. 1960 - Mar. 1962

USCG Yard, Baltimore, Maryland
Mar. 1962 - July 1964

USCGC WALNUT July 1964 - Aug. 1966

During his years of service he earned the following awards:

Coast Guard Good Conduct Medal with five bronze stars
American Defense Service Medal European-African-Middle Eastern
Campaign Medal with one bronze star Victory Medal World War II
National Defense Service Medal Coast Guard Expert Rifleman Medal
Coast Guard Expert Pistol Shot Medal

In 1939 he was stationed at Charleston, South Carolina, aboard the USCGC AGASSIS. The ship was placed into dry dock at St. John's Dry Dock on the St. John's River outside Jacksonville, Florida. There he met and married Clytie Leona Beasley. The Beasley family was from the Macclenny, Florida area. Her father, in later years, was a horticulturalist who with his brothers planted and maintained many of the orange groves in central Florida.

Clytie had been previously married and bore one daughter, who she and Louie raised. That daughter, Barbara, bore three sons but was not inclined to parentage. In 1956, Louie and Clytie Stanley legally adopted the three boys.

Some people look strictly toward blood lines to determine true family ties. This case proves the contrary. Louie Stanley gave his sons his name, home and heritage. From him they learned about faith in God, honor, loyalty, and the meaning of family. This writer, for one, takes serious dispute with any that would deny his 'blood relation'.

In 1941 the United States was not yet at war with Germany. An incident occurred at Base Six in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The German ship ARAUCA was considered the finest freighter afloat. On her maiden voyage she was being pursued by the British cruiser, Oran, off the Florida coast. Toward seeking safety, the ARAUCA headed into Port Everglades. There it was seized by a force of the U.S. Coast Guard and Dade County sheriffs. The crew was incarcerated at the Dade County jail awaiting a hearing for over one month.

Louie Stanley was officer in charge of the security crew which boarded the ARAUCA and held the ship before final disposition. The Miami Herald newspaper of April 1941 carried a photographic special on the seizure of the ship. Several of the pictures include Louie Stanley as leading the photographers and exhibiting the comfort and technology of the German ship.

Since the United States and Germany were not at war, the German flag was allowed to remain displayed on the ARAUCA. Shortly after the seizure President Franklin Roosevelt entered the harbor aboard his 165-foot yacht. Noticing the German flag he pulled along side the seized ship and ordered the German flag lowered. This act of seizing a German vessel could have been considered the first act of war by the United States. The German officers and crew were later interred at Arizona Federal Prison for the duration of the war. The Arauca was placed in service for the United States throughout the war.

The following letter reveals an incident which Louie Stanley participated:


May 12, 1944

Dear Sir,

I would like to express through you to the officers and men of the NEWELL the admiration and the warm personal gratitude of Mrs. Morgenthau and myself for their heroic rescue of the survivors of the U.S. S. LANSDALE, lost through enemy action in the Mediterranean on April 20. As you are perhaps aware, our son, Lieutenant Robert M. Morgenthau, U.S.N.R., was executive officer of the LANSDALE and was among those rescued.

The officers and men of the NEWELL by their gallantry and able seamanship displayed in the rescue of the LANSDALE survivors upheld the highest traditions of the Coast Guard and have strengthened our admiration for a service to which now more than ever we feel closest ties.

As a very small token of our gratitude we are enclosing a check for $100 made payable to you, which we should like to contribute to the morale fund of the NEWELL.


Henry Morgenthau, Jr.
Secretary of the Treasury

In 1982 Louie noticed a newspaper article which named Robert M. Morgenthau as Manhattan District Attorney in New York. His subsequent letter to Mr. Morgenthau received the following reply:

The District Attorney
County of New York

January 4, 1983


Dear Mr. Stanley,

Thank you ever so much for your letter of December 28 and for sending me a copy of the letter my father wrote to the Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. NEWELL.

I will never forget the night of April 20, 1944 and how fortunate I was to be rescued by the NEWELL. As I recall it, the escort commander had directed the ships escorting the convoy not to pick up survivors, but the NEWELL had stopped anyway to look for survivors. By the time I reached the NEWELL I was pretty well exhausted and someone climbed down the cargo net and pulled me up.

It was good to hear from you, and I hope you are in good health. If you ever find yourself in New York, I hope you will let me know.


Robert M. Morgenthau

As fate would have it, Louie Stanley, a Chief Boatswain's Mate, was actually in the water pulling survivors onto the NEWELL cargo nets.

Louie Stanley's last tour of duty was aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Walnut, a bouy tender, based at Miami, Florida. Upon his retirement and the sale of his house in Ft. Lauderdale, he returned to Dacula, Georgia. Since 1966 he has lived on the same land where his family lived on the Alcova River.

Louie has been sincerely involved in his church, Hebron Baptist, in Dacula. His unswerving faith in God and his Christian beliefs best describe him today. In 1986 he was elected a Deacon at his church, and he continues his work there.

Date born 2: Born at home of Robert M. Stanley
Burial: March 23, 2000, Dacula, GA, Pleasant Hill Cemetery

Census: 1920. Baker County, Florida. Jan 1, 1920 Clytie was living with her grandparents. She was six years old; Grandfathers name is Nathan A. Pellum; grandmother Polliann L. Pellum.

Burial: Dacula, GA, Pleasant Hill Cemetery

Marriage: July 24, 1939, Macclenny, Baker Co., Florida

Marriage: March 16, 1980, Dacula, Gwinnett Co., GA

Burial: Apalachee Baptist Church, Barrow Co., GA

Marriage: 1989

Marriage: September 12, 1997, Dacula, Gwinnett Co., GA

360. i. TYSON LEE10 STANLEY, b. September 07, 1950, Denver, Colorado.
361. ii. LOUIE WOODSON STANLEY, b. October 23, 1951, Aurora (Denver), Colorado.
362. iii. LARRY ROY STANLEY, b. March 12, 1955, Greenville, SC.